Transportation Industry Magazine Names Averitt Top Green Partner
Carrier recognized for innovative programs dedicated to preserving environment
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (Aug. 15, 2011) – Averitt Express was recently selected as a “Green 75 Supply Chain Partner” by Inbound Logistics magazine. Each year, the magazine publishes a list of supply chain, logistics and transportation visionaries that lead the way in sustainability efforts, expanding this year’s roll to 75 honorees.
“Supply chain sustainability has always been top of mind for Inbound Logistics readers,” said Felecia Stratton, editor of Inbound Logistics. “The companies selected as this year’s 75 Green Supply
Chain Partners, including Averitt, are truly ‘walking the walk’ when it comes to supply chain sustainability. These 75 visionaries have a long-standing history of driving efficiencies in their customers’ operations and an internal commitment to be as lean and green as possible. Inbound Logistics is proud to honor Averitt among them.”
According to Averitt President and CEO Gary Sasser, taking responsibility for the impact Averitt makes on the environment is an integral part of the company’s culture.
“We understand that the business choices we make today directly affect our world tomorrow. That’s why we’re committed to finding better, more environmentally friendly ways to service our customers every day,” said Sasser. “From innovative incentive programs to common-sense business practices, we’re constantly finding new methods to stay green.”
Over the past three years, Averitt has developed programs to reward associates for improving their fuel efficiency. Averitt has awarded $40,000 in fuel cards, a Smart Fortwo city car, and a Ford F-150 4x4 truck. Currently, Averitt drivers are competing for $50,000 in fuel cards by maintaining or improving their miles per gallon.
- A charter member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, Averitt has taken numerous steps to reduce its environmental impact, including:
- Using only ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur diesel) at in-house fueling stations, helping reduce emissions of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides
- Equipping road tractors with APUs (auxiliary power units) to maintain driver comfort and reduce fuel use through idling when parked for extended periods of time
- Installing sophisticated electronic technology that gathers data from tractor engine computers to track and measure fuel efficiency
- Equipping trucks with systems that automatically shut down idling engines
- Using leading-edge software to plan routes as efficiently as possible and alert drivers to the most cost-effective fueling locations
- Using Biodiesel in select markets
- Using low-viscosity lubricants and engine oils that lower the frequency of maintenance service intervals, therefore producing fewer waste products
- Providing numerous e-commerce solutions, such as electronic bills of lading, invoicing and various forms requests, in order to reduce and potentially eliminate paper use
- Striving to maintain balance within distribution network to reduce empty miles, thus reducing emissions and fuel usage
Averitt's current SmartWay score is 1.25, which represents outstanding environmental performance, according to the EPA. Partners with this score are already utilizing most of the commercially available fuel saving strategies and are actively evaluating the latest emerging technologies.
To learn more about Averitt’s environmental responsibility, visit www.averittexpress.com/green.
About Inbound Logistics
Inbound Logistics the leading trade magazine targeted toward business logistics and supply chain managers. The magazine's editorial mission is to help companies of all sizes better manage corporate resources by speeding and reducing inventory and supporting infrastructure, and better matching demand signals to supply lines. More information is available at www.inboundlogistics.com.
About Averitt Express
Celebrating 40 years of service in 2011, Averitt Express is a leading provider of freight transportation and supply chain management with international reach to more than 100 countries. The company is a founding SmartWaySM partner and a member of The Reliance Network, a network of carriers that provides seamless LTL services throughout North America. Averitt specializes in delivering customized solutions with a single source of accountability for service offerings that include cross border/domestic offshore, dedicated, expedited, intermodal, international ocean/air, local customization, less-than-truckload, PortSide®, transportation management, truckload (dry van, flatbed, brokerage), warehousing and value-added services, including a centralized call center, strict performance metrics and an ongoing focus on green/sustainability efforts. Averitt’s technology offerings include a full suite of web-based shipping tools, electronic data interchange (EDI), and transportation and operations management systems. For more information, call 1-800-AVERITT (283-7488) or visit www.averittexpress.com.