At Averitt Express, "Our Driving Concern is Safety!" Ensuring the safety of our customers, our associates and the driving public is of utmost importance.Recent Safety Performance Statistics
- Collision Mitigation Systems: Zero Rear End Accidents in 2015 & 2016 In Tractors Equipped With Collision Warning
- Blindspot Radar: 23 Percent Reduction In Changing Lane / Turning Accidents
- Lane Detection System: 52 Percent Reduction In Leaving The Roadway / Fatigue-Related DOT Recordable Crashes
- Preventable Accidents: In 2016, the number of recordable accidents was 0.70 accidents (both preventable and non-preventable combined) per million miles.
- 2017/2016 Comparison: In 2017 (Jan-Nov), preventable accidents declined 9 percent and work-related injuries dropped 21 percent compared to 2016.
The following sections provide more information about how we make safety our driving concern.
How does Averitt measure safe-driving performance?
We track safe-driving performance by measuring both vehicle and driver performance through a series of indicators. We continually strive to have the safest trucks on the road, measuring total accidents per million miles driven. Though industry comparisons are not available, we measure ourselves against our own strong safety record, striving for improvement every year.
What type of safety training do Averitt drivers receive?
New Averitt drivers complete several days of orientation at our corporate campus. This training focuses on protective driving techniques, operational technology training, accident reporting, equipment and maintenance information, hours of service compliance and seat belt usage.
What Safety Features Do Averitt's Tractors Have?
As part of our continuing emphasis on safety and technology, we're cycling in new tractors that feature dynamic technology that will ensure our driving associates stay safe on the roadways.
What is Averitt's preventive maintenance program?
Our fleet has received multiple Tennessee Trucking Association awards for fleet safety and is regarded as one of the country's cleanest, safest fleets.
How does Averitt screen its driver candidates?
All applicants for driver positions undergo a series of screenings to ensure they are the best people for the job.
Does Averitt have any incentive programs for driver safety?
In 2017, Averitt started an accident awareness/incentive program, called Partners In Prevention, that encourages operations leadership to stay active in preventing accidents and injuries.